Prickly-Critterz Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Wheel Encouragement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Beckee

PostSubject: Wheel Encouragement   Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:00 am

I've come downstairs unable to sleep tonight to where Sonics viv is in the living room and watching the funny little guy in the semi dark do his own thing. It seems he's spending a lot of time just running back and forth along the front of the tank which makes me sad! I've only had him a couple of months and he came with the set up of just his house and a litter tray (which he doesn't use!) in the viv so I guess this has always been his only form of entertainment up til now.

I've now added for him a treat ball which I put dried mealies in which seem to be his fave and a large hedgehog specific wheel but he's yet to figure out the wheel (it's been in about 2/3 weeks). Is there anyway I can encourage him to give it a go and start using it? I've put treats on it and he'll climb on to eat them but then trundles off again? Just wondered if you guys had any tried and tested methods short of showing him a video of a hog using one so he gets the idea?! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Encouragement   Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Bless his little prickly paws - if he hasn't ever had a wheel before, it can take them a little time to get the hang of it - do you put him out in a play pen in the evenings to exercise? If you do, just keep putting his wheel in there for him - you can put some kitchen roll underneath the wheel as they will poop when running on it - it trains them to poop on the paper as well.

Exercise is important for them so even if you pop him out in a play pen (semi-darkness) and let him have two/three hours in the evening in there, it will do him no harm at all and he might just click that the wheel is there for him to use.

As for running back and to, some of mine do that, they are just pottering around doing what they do - a treat ball is good but you can give him a dig tray as well.

You can use a deep baking tray, get some leaves for rabbits from pets at home and pop them in the tray and then bury some dried mealworms and biscuits - again, it might take him a few goes but he will get there in the end.

It will just be a case of waiting for him to click that he has a fab new home and all these new things to try out. xx

hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Encouragement   Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Bless the little sweetie, it does take a bit of timed for then to get used to it hun, Lewie was a bit like that but now he loves his wheel.

Hugs
Jo xx
Back to top Go down
Beckee

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Encouragement   Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:20 am

Thank you!

Yes he has a pop up playpen that he goes in in the evenings and I put his wheel in there too!

I love the idea of a dig tray so will definitely sort that out for him and be more patient about him learning to use the wheel. Hehe! He always seems happy and enjoys coming out for a cuddle and run round so I'm sure he's happy. I just didn't want to miss anything I could be doing to improve his quality of life!

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back soon with the next question!
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Encouragement   Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:03 pm

You are very welcome love, please keep us posted.

Hugs
JO xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Encouragement   

Back to top Go down

Wheel Encouragement
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1