Prickly-Critterz Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cross Spider, also known as Cross Orbweaver or just Garden Spider, is one of the most distinctive and beautifully marked spiders around the garden. It is commonly found in a variety of habitats across Northern Europe.

The Cross Spider builds a large complex orb-web, which can measure up to 40 cm in. The spider spends much of its time at the centre of the web and detects vibrations in the silk through its legs when insects become trapped. This spider wraps prey items in silk before consuming them.

When threatened, it rapidly shakes itself and the web up and down, and may drop to the ground on a silk thread. The web can be rebuilt every day, and the old web is consumed so that the proteins used in its construction are conserved and re-used.

When mating, males approach females with caution to avoid being eaten.
During the autumn months, a female lays many hundreds of eggs in one mass and protects them with a silk binding. She remains with her eggs for about a month and then dies.

The young spiders emerge from the cocoon in spring, gather into dense groups until after their first moult, after which they disperse by 'ballooning' - a form of dispersal in which the spiderlings are carried on the wind by a thread of silk.

Do you have Cross Spiders in your garden? What is your favourite Irish spider? Let us know!

-
Photograph by Donald Hobern, CC BY 3.0
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 pm

VILE!

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 pm

"What is your favourite Irish spider?"
My answer : DEAD ONES!!!

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Jake!! Eight little leggies to tickle you with!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Eight little leggies for me to cover in bleach and kill! It's seriously amusing to do, only when they trespass in your home though otherwise that's just sadistiic Wink hehe xx

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Naughty naughty Jakester!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 am

I loathe spiders what do you expect? Hehe xx

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Even this iddy biddy one!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 am

thats just creepy haha!!!! gross and creepy xx

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Pfft!
Back to top Go down
horsy

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:34 pm

O dear jake lol . spiders keep nasty insect numbers down lol x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:39 pm

I kill flies with bleach too, I don't just hate on spiders Razz I could bring the insect world down if I had unlimited bleach and a thick suit that couldn't be penetrated by any insect!
Obviously I'll let bees live bees are amazing! Xx

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:43 am

No hope for you Jake x
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I think he is lovely and he is certainly entitled to his little life without the fear of being tortured, he has done nothing to deserve it, he is just himself and like all of us, he is stuck with it!!! I have seen many of these on webs in gardens. I am glad you love bees Gaga, I adore them aswell, especially the big round fluffy ones.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus   

Back to top Go down

Species of the Week – Garden Cross Spider Araneus diadematus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1