Prickly-Critterz Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Where to source hedgehogs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maddi

PostSubject: Where to source hedgehogs?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:17 pm

As I continue my quest into researching hedgehogs I've sort of got everything in my mind sorted with regards to housing, diet, enrichment etc. The only thing that is a tricky thing is sourcing one.

I understand that breeder bred hedgehogs tend to be healthier and friendlier and more suitable to a new hedgehog owner, however I can't seem to find a breeder too close to me that seems to be reputable? I live in Sussex and am willing to travel a couple of hours for a well-bred hog, I would travel further but I also understand its nice to meet the hedgehog a couple of times before taking it home?

Whilst looking for breeders online I noticed there were so many hedgehogs being re-homed on sites such as gumtree or preloved. Generally by people who have discovered they don't have the time/effort to look after one anymore - I know certainly in the rat world that taking animals off these peoples hands means they might just go out and get another animal to fill the space and as such isn't "rescuing" but would certainly give that hedgehog a better home.

What does everyone here do? Did anyone get their first hedgehog from a re-homing situation? Is an adult hedgehog harder to bond with than a baby?
Back to top Go down
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Where to source hedgehogs?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:27 pm

I think it's great how people rescue hogs but sometimes first time hog owners struggle with a grumpy hog...! And when rescuing a hog, they are exactly that...grumpy.

I personally would recommend you go to a breeder....and lots are willing to meet half way, if none are close by.
I bought my first hog from a lady close by but the rest have travelled to reading, Cheshire, Lincolnshire...!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
maddi

PostSubject: Re: Where to source hedgehogs?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm

That's what I thought the case would be but thought it was best to ask just in case Smile Travelling certainly is not an issue for me. What are the signs of a reputable breeder?
Back to top Go down
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Where to source hedgehogs?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:40 pm

Iv seen so many people rescuing a hog, then passing it on coz they feel they ain't helping the hog in any way as they aren't getting any friendlier.

There is Helen and I who breed on here, Helen is in Cheshire I'm in South Wales and we regularly meet in Birmingham, as it's the middle of everywhere.

Always look at how they keep their hogs, how much help and info the breeder is prepared to help you with, some breeders will ask you to answer a long questionnaire, which means they care were their hoglets will live....word of mouth and recommendations, who have had hogs from that breeder already...!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

PostSubject: Re: Where to source hedgehogs?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I can only echo what Tayer says - better to visit a breeder and see as many of their hoggies as you can and babies if they are available to see even if you are having one from a future litter - breeders should offer you lifelong help with your hoglet.
Back to top Go down
maddi

PostSubject: Re: Where to source hedgehogs?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you for the advice Smile Certainly seems as though a breeder is the way to go Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to source hedgehogs?   

Back to top Go down

Where to source hedgehogs?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1