Prickly-Critterz Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 7:00 pm

'Cause I love them and not sure if we've had anything on them yet. Very Happy

The great white shark is the ultimate super predator

There are eight main groups of sharks. Great whites are from the 'order Lamniformes' which contains sixteen species of shark.
They tend to have a long snout, mouth that stretches behind the eyes (which have no nictitating eyelids). Have five gill slits on each side and two dorsal fins.

The oldest fossilised shark teeth found so far date from the Early Devonian period and are estimated around 400 million years old. Their owners were probably no more than 12 inches long.

The first of the more modern sharks appeared a little over 200 million years ago.
The largest shark ever to have lived was called Megalodon and is a close relative of the great white shark. It was top of the food chain a little more than 20 million years ago.
Believed to grow to a length of at least 50 feet (15m).

Sharks are the colour they are to hide from predators and sneak up on prey. They have evolved counter shading. Dark on top so difficult to spot from above against the dark ocean depths, and light below so difficult to see above due to the light on the ocean surface.

Sharks swim by moving their head from side to side sending a wave down the length of the body which gets progressively greater towards the tail, pushing the shark forwards as body and tail swing out and back in an S shape. They can swerve, but cannot swim backwards.
Several fins, 2 paired and 3 unpaired, perform differentr functions. They are thick stiffened by cartilaginous rods and internal fibres of collagen.

Sharks in the family Lamnidae have a sophisticated modified circulatory system that effectively makes them homeothermic (warm blooded).
Great whites protect their eyes by rolling them up into their sockets just before an attack.

One of the most interesting things about sharks is their ability to detect minute amounts of electricity generated by the muscles of all living things. Electrical receptors called the ampullae of Lorenzini, small jelly filled pores, are located on the snout and lower jaw, forming a pattern of dark holes. Active hunting sharks have 1500 or more ampullae. Named after the clay jars used by ancient Romans to store oil and grain due to their resemblance in shape. These are so effective at detecting weak electrical fields that it is estimated they detect as low as five billionths of a volt per centimeter, and they can find a prey animal completely buried in sand or mud. If it is not moving it is still breathing and its heart is pumping producing sufficient muscle activity for the shark to detect the electrical impulses. Salt water is also a great conductor.

Experienced divers have learned to understand how the great white's communicate annoyance by gaping its mouth and slapping its tail. Studies on them have also found dominant individuals may occasionally bite subordinates, rarely causing damage to show authority. Apparently settling disputes with displays of strength and threats rather than physical contact.

Shark bites are little greater in force than humans. It is the mouthful of razor sharp teeth which cause the damage.

Not immune to predators themselves, a few years ago a killer whale was observed catching and killing a 3m (10 feet) long great white shark at the Farallon Islands, off the coast of California.

(Information mainly from the book Shark by Mark Carwardine)

Photos provided by me. Taken on underwater disposable camera and with slr out of the water. Smile
Couldn't be bothered scanning them in so just photoed them on the phone. Smile biggest we saw was 4.9 meters long. They were absolutely beautiful.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 7:46 pm

That is some evolvement - 12" to 50 feet!!

They just aren't the prettiest of things but then again, I love the killer whales but cannot stand to see them attack and kill seals of other whales - nature I suppose xx
Back to top Go down
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 7:59 pm

scary scary scary....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I love great whites. Looked into the eye of one as it passed and it was clearly thinking and trying to work out what I was. It was truly beautiful. I put my hand out to stroke one, but he moved away. Just love them.x the guy who took us out did the stroking the nose and hypnotising them thing. They just sit there looking dazed, then look a bit confused before swimming off. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 pm

scare me too, its the eyes so dark and mysterious! xx

Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 pm

So full of life close up though. Thinking and working things out. Smile x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 pm

they are just scary eyes!! haha xx

Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Haha, I'm not convincing you all am I!?! Very Happy x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 8:51 pm

nope! haha i must admit they are very beautiful, but i wouldnt like to meet one Razz xx

Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm dying to meet more again. Smile will get back there one day. Smile x
Back to top Go down
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 pm

how did you get to meet one fi?
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 9:29 pm

It was a few years ago. I went shark diving in South Africa. First time I was set to go but the weather was too bad, so the guide told me to come back and stay at his wife's bed and breakfast and come for a week so we would have at least one day. Saved up and the next time I went for a week of diving. Loved every minute. Dying to go back again. Smile
Back to top Go down
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 9:36 pm

sounds amazing...Smile
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Was fantastic. One of the best experiences of my life. Would go back in a shot if could. Smile
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Think he's got a bigger boat and cage now though, so might not be quite the same. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 am

Swimming with Dolphins was my moment x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 am

It's so special to be amongst them isn't it, any animal in the wild really, being allowed into its environment on the understanding with it tha you are just there to look. Smile x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 am

We went to the Canaries and took a boat trip out to see the dolphins - watching them swim with the boat was another wonderful moment and memory to treasure x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Aww, lovely. I bet it was. Smile would love to see the basking sharks. Apparently you can see them from the isle of man and scotland. Bet they wouldn't be around when I went though, but would be so lovely to see them.x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Whale watching for me next x
Back to top Go down
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 2:55 pm

iv met koala and a kangaroo and thats about it,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Would love to meet them Tayer - jealous!
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Aww yeah, I want to meet Brolga's kangaroos! Very Happy met sharks, there were some whales there we could see from Hermanus bay, lions, elephant, wildebeast, giraffe, wild dogs, hyena, cheetah, leopard, bears (from afar) and a wolf. So many lovely animals to see. :)x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Brolga's kangaroos is a must xx
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   Mon May 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Very Happy x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)   

Back to top Go down

Carcharodon Carcharias (The Great White Shark)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1